Mednafen debugger questions.

hu, cd, scd, acd, supergrafx discussions.
ded302

Mednafen debugger questions.

Post by ded302 »

I have been playing around with mednafens debugger and found a pointer to a string. The game is Xak 1 & 2. How would I set up a conditional breakpoint to have the debugger snap when 0x83 is written to an address like $2002? Also, I know you can trace in Mednafen. What setting would I have to modify to have the debugger do a filtered trace instead of an unfiltered one?
MooZ
Site Admin

Re: Mednafen debugger questions.

Post by MooZ »

Unfortunately mednafen debugger is not that advanced. You can't set conditional breakpoints or filter trace :|
You'll have to harass mednafen developer (hidden under Mednafen on this forum :) )
ded302

Post by ded302 »

Thanks for answering my question. I found out that banks are 64kb and want to know if the whole 0000-ffff range can be used as pointers. If not, will the range be 8000-ffff?
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

I found out that banks are 64kb and want to know if the whole 0000-ffff range can be used as pointers. If not, will the range be 8000-ffff?
The logical address range is 64k, but banks are 8k. The full $0000-ffff range is available for read/write break points. You can break on multiple individuals or a range like: 4000-6200. You can break on external address ranges instead of logical, but it needs to be preceded with an * (you can also use the bank notation too xx:1fff) and you can setup a range as well. Control + W or R will setup breakpoints for VRAM addresses.

But yeah, unfortunately there's not conditional break support like $2002=$83. BTW, if you found the pointer to the string and the string, you can just use a external/long address break on the start of the string or a specific character for a trigger instead.
ded302

Post by ded302 »

Thanks for answering my question. I was able to repointer text to an area with more free space. I'll do some more experimenting and see if I can come up with a demo.