Create a scd project with magickit

hu, cd, scd, acd, supergrafx discussions.
TOUKO

Re: Create scd project with magickit

Post by TOUKO »

Lol ..

Thanks for your help ;) ..
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

You'll have to wait for the panamerican to wake up...
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

Yes, i know :mrgreen: ...
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

Who's the panamerican?

I've done tons of PCEAS for CD projects. BUT... I never use the built in libs of mkit. I use my own (as does Charles and Mooz IIRC). Chris Covell was the only one that I remembered that uses the mkit libs in his projects. I'm not sure if he figured out the problem or not.

But, if i understand you correctly.. you want to write "overlays" that are in pure ASM, no? If so, then why not still use HuC - but as a container for your ASM. So it's all #ASM code inside a C source file. Compile that to an overlay. Otherwise, I guess contact Chris Covell to see if he solved that problem. Or just write your own libs and ignore mkits libs.
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

Hi tom,
tomaitheous wrote: But, if i understand you correctly.. you want to write "overlays" that are in pure ASM, no?.
Yes exactly. ;)

i don't want use only HUc because i 'am planing to create a 512 colors pictures by changing palettes at eatch HBL ..

The same glishes appears in simple fade_in fade_out function.
tomaitheous wrote: If so, then why not still use HuC - but as a container for your ASM. So it's all #ASM code inside a C source file. Compile that to an overlay. Otherwise, I guess contact Chris Covell to see if he solved that problem. Or just write your own libs and ignore mkits libs
And you know the problem with huc, some glishes appaers on a real PCE.
I have tried a single screen wiht a copper effect (very simple), and the problem has also appered .

Only in pure asm this effect works fine.
It seems that Huc is too slow for that. ??
There is also the size of output file .

Thanks for your help, i'll think that crete a SCD with mkit was easy like with HUC :?
tomaitheous wrote: Or just write your own libs and ignore mkits libs
I'am not good enought for that ,but i'll try to make it :?
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

And you know the problem with huc, some glishes appaers on a real PCE.
I have tried a single screen wiht a copper effect (very simple), and the problem has also appered .
Well, if you write it in all #ASM, it would be the same as if you didn't use HuC. But, as a side effect - you have wasted space of the HuC library just sitting there... in ram. And, I guess it would be no different than just using PCEAS without mkit libs. So I guess the point is moot :(

Once upon a time, I was looking into this for Chris Covell. I think I (and he) managed to get an overlay or iso made of simple code, but problem arouse from mixing different libs with different versions of PCEAS. It was a real mess. This was probably two years ago. Anyway, I didn't put much effort into it since it didn't really effect me (I was just curious as he was trying to do some CD stuffs).

This might help (not sure), but I do remember something about mkit 2.00. I'm pretty sure it was 2.00 and not HuC. Chris would probably remember.

Maybe we can approach this in a different manner. What exactly do you need pure asm for? Just small parts? Just to display pics?
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

tomaitheous wrote: What exactly do you need pure asm for? Just small parts? Just to display pics?
Yes for the moment is just for à 512 colors pics ..

But all changing palette effects make glishes with huc.
A single effect like fade_in or fade_out lack as soon as you fade more than one palette(on a real pce of course).
Another thing, a same program is 3x more sized in HUc,but i don't know if it's all the time. .
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

So, in the long run you plan to ditch HuC altogether?

For fade in/out, what are the requirements you need? Do you need to fade in/out ALL 512 color entries? As in, you need both sprites and BG to fade in/out. Also, will you be doing anything else while this is happening? The reason I ask, is that I wrote a custom fade in/out routine in ASM for Frozen Utopia's MSR game, in ASM (but to work with HuC). I can help you write one if you'd like.

Also, for overlays: Do you plan on using it just to import ASM functions - but inside existing HuC code? Or are you loading to and completely over writing the HuC code in ram at that time (which you can reload again at whatever time)? If you're doing the first, it's easier to just to build ASM routines inside HuC source and interface with it. If it's the second approach, maybe Charles, Mooz, and I can help write a custom lib for you. Or just borrow one of our generic ones. But, we'd need a lot of details to get specific stuff for you. And lastly, are you writing your own PC utilities for PCE? Like map converters, picture converters, sound converters, etc. If so, that helps a lot for all ASM projects.
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

Thanks for your responses tom ..

My fade_in fade_out works fine on emulators (on one as good as on all palettes) but on real hardware some parasits appears on left side of the screen for more than one's fade..
i have fade only 2 palettes (work fine with only one) ..

My functions are optimized from aramis's ones(perhaps not fast enought).

I want to know if it is possible to mix huc and pure assembly overlays ,for a future move to full asm on my projects.
The deal is start to code part(s) in full assembly,and i need a single scd library like cdrom.asm one in huc.

In mkit startup.asm include that library ,this was called cdstart.asm, but it's not present in include directory ..
tomaitheous wrote: If it's the second approach, maybe Charles, Mooz, and I can help write a custom lib for you. Or just borrow one of our generic ones. But, we'd need a lot of details to get specific stuff for you.
Yes that's cool, or some explanations for writing my own ..

for the moment i want make a scd executable, if possible without cd lib .
tomaitheous wrote: And lastly, are you writing your own PC utilities for PCE? Like map converters, picture converters, sound converters, etc. If so, that helps a lot for all ASM projects.
For the moment, only a real RGB->PCE palette converter, and i'am working on a graphic converter, like fragmare's one.
Sound is definitely not my cup of tea.
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

Hum i have tried without startup.asm, but it seems that i have a problem, my bank allocation is not good ..

it boot correctly on system3 but it hang at starting.

Ps: dmichel is working on my problem :mrgreen: .