Is there a limit on the storage of a Hu-card?

hu, cd, scd, acd, supergrafx discussions.
Gravis
Kitten Blaster

Re: Is there a limit on the storage of a Hu-card?

Post by Gravis »

just answer this question: what do you want to do that you cant do with a PCE CD game?

the only possible advantage that having both hucard and CD is hucard loading speed while having CD audio. however, you would need to reimplement at least part of the system card because the hucard overrides it and to my knowledge it's inaccessible from hucards on systems that have it built-in like a DUO. additionally, if you are thinking of having this manufactured, the cost is going to be through the roof. the only reasonable reason i can think of making a hucard now is if it can be flashed to put on different games, is a system card upgrade (system card 4.0 or something) or if it's a fancy development tool with hardware debugging capabilities.

your Rube Goldberg design just doesnt make sense.
RegalSin

Post by RegalSin »

It is going to be a surprise. It is part of the reason why I am intrested in the PC-engine.

Well yes part of the system card will be reserved for the memory usage of data from the cd. However that might be removed,
since the Cd ( as you said would only be playing music ). About loading only music from the CD. Why not game data. The data in the card could be presented as RAM, ready to be used, while the CD only loads part from the burnt track. Then the game would playback as normal. Piecing the datatypes together.

Also manifatured. No way hoozaa! I am going to do it myself. Order the PCB's, soder the wires, and memory units, flash the data all by my hands. It is going to cost me a couple thousand bucks in the future. Better spent on creating something then buying other peoples novelty works. Look at the Chinese, they are still making famiclone, and carts every single day. I own some, and see the wonderfull wiring that is done to the cart.

You also mentioned about playing roms. I have seen there is a couple of people already selling items like that. I was thinking about that but the problem with making such a device, is already flawed.
Last edited by RegalSin on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

Your idea is completely impossible ,cause Hucard is a rom card not additional ram like cd-rom or scd have ..

You don't write anything in a Hucard regardless additional ram .
RegalSin

Post by RegalSin »

Then where does the data ( not the wav ) go from the CD-rom? The PC-Engine ( regular Hu-card games ) data is reading directly from the Hu-card. Cd data ( if any ) will be feed to the Hu-card. The PC-egine alone cannot be used to create the graphical games that consumers admire it for without additional memory.
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

In a Hucard game, datas are read only fron Hucard, no writing is possible ..

In a CD-ROM/SCD datas and audio (CDA) are read from cd.
But datas are stored in addytional RAM provide by cdrom unit ..
This ram is 256 ko for SCD, the same capacity than classic Hucard,programers store all datas needed for her games/levels.

PCE is using datas stored in this ram for graphics, code, psg musics, sound fx, and cd_rom unit for CDA musics ..
Game datas are used direcly from this additional ram.
Datas can be loaded from CD only ,if a CDA music is not playing ..
Last edited by TOUKO on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin

Post by RegalSin »

Given the assumtion that TOUKO is corrrect. The CD-rom cannot read from more then two places at once.

You just gave me another idea, However back to this. Loading data from the Hu-card as if was Cd data. Lets ignore the fact the PCE even has a CD-rom add-on. Lets imagine that everything that is the CD-rom unit is nice and flesh tight packaged into the hu-card. Like the way a dev system emulates a CD/PCB drive but with a harddisk. Like earlier discussed. Divide the 512( if needed ) space of the Hu-card. Game load, etc load. Not considering the "costs", It works?
Gravis
Kitten Blaster

Post by Gravis »

RegalSin wrote:Given the assumtion that TOUKO is corrrect. The CD-rom cannot read from more then two places at once.

You just gave me another idea, However back to this. Loading data from the Hu-card as if was Cd data. Lets ignore the fact the PCE even has a CD-rom add-on. Lets imagine that everything that is the CD-rom unit is nice and flesh tight packaged into the hu-card. Like the way a dev system emulates a CD/PCB drive but with a harddisk. Like earlier discussed. Divide the 512( if needed ) space of the Hu-card. Game load, etc load. Not considering the "costs", It works?
ok... im coming out and saying it: whatever you are thinking of doing is stupid, REALLY STUPID and it's not possible without significant hardware modifications. :x

you are thinking of the PCE as if it were a modern computer when in fact it's a very limited machine with limited resources. there is no multitasking and no, it's absolutely not possible to play CDDA and read data from the CD drive at the same time. it's not even a question, it CANNOT BE DONE. :x

i can appreciate your enthusiasm but you are fucking barking up the wrong fucking tree. :evil:

if you want CD audio at all, you will have to make the game CD based, period. :x
RegalSin

Post by RegalSin »

Gravis keep your thoughts to yourself, the only thing stupid is you calling my idea stupid. How can you even prove what I said wrong without even trying it yourself. The PCE is a micromachine, and in comparison to even "Modern" machines it is just as modern. The whole point of game programming to do alot with a limited amount.

With your kind of limited thinking, the best your going to produce is some dancing pixel show. If your going to be making games, ( or any program ) for any type of machine then you can not limit your possiblities to what it can do.
can appreciate your enthusiasm but you are fucking barking up the wrong fucking tree.
With an attitude like that, nobody want to barks up your tree.
if you want CD audio at all, you will have to make the game CD based, period. :x
Your just saying that since you cannot prove it. What I was typing about had nothing to do with that. To help you prove I said is true, all you need is a "modern" computer. Your not thinking logical.
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

Ok... Move along people. The party is over.