MooZ
Site Admin

Re: Forum issues / Bug report

Post by MooZ »

Everything seems fine so far...
freem

Post by freem »

for the most part, I agree. This skin, though...
mostly.png
(12.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

Sh*t !
I'll deactivate it and revert to the default skin until a new version is available.
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

Updated forum to phpbb 3.2.8.
And a happy new year to the lost souls wandering here.
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

The board was just updated to phpBB 3.3.
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

Let's see if the update to phpBB 3.3.5 didn't destroy anything.
NightWolve

Post by NightWolve »

Good luck, I upgraded to the 2022 SMF 2.1 core and it changed avatar storage, breaking some image links... Could've been worse, but at least IPv6 and mobile/phone support is finally included after years of stagnation.

I'm really tempted by XenForo or Invision which is what Atari Age is using I believe. But exporting to completely different formats is going to be a lot worse to do, so I'm conflicted on what to do eventually if I'm not satisfied. ProBoards is also worth mentioning; if you actually pay for it to get rid of the ads, you've got well-maintained forum software that's very modern, fully-featured and all the updating is taken off your shoulders since they host it. It's actually worth looking at which I didn't consider in the past at all.

Another consideration is if forums have much of a future in general in the face of competition from less persistent forms of communication, i.e. social media: Facebook, Discord, Twitter, etc. Most people have migrated off to there, one huge advantage they have is they work so well with smartphones! Once I upgraded to a 6.4" OLED Samsung a few years ago, I started trying Discord and found it works great, I never need to fire up the desktop for most chatting... Hard to say the same thing about most forum software!

I grew up with forums and am nostalgic so I don't wanna give up on 'em, but I can see where the current climate is headed and doesn't look good! You basically need a phone app for your forum, sorta like what TapaTalk could do to integrate/wrap over old forum software and present it in a workable format for a phone. It was highly buggy, added extra load/data, along with ads if you didn't pay for it, but it helped improve the viewing experience and provide notification-style features social media apps have by default.
MooZ
Site Admin

Post by MooZ »

Updated the board to phpBB 3.3.10.
Check 1.2.3